Hailey had three treatments/surgeries to reduce the size of her hemangioma. She was such a trooper through them, she ate and slept just like normal through everything. I was really worried about how she would do not being able to have a bottle the mornings before each treatment, that didn't even bother her!
Hailey's last checkup with her plastic surgeon, Dr Burstein, was in February. Dr. Burstein gave us the great news that he wouldn't need to see Hailey again for two years! This is great since we were going every 3-6 months. He did however say that he wanted her to see a pediatric ophthalmologist to have her vision checked. While he didn't believe that any damage had been done he wanted to make sure that her vision had not been affected. The hemangioma was quite large and was pressing against her eye, this was also the reason that they were so aggressive with her treatment. Unless hemangiomas are in the mouth, nose or eye area they are usually left alone.
Today we went to the pediatric ophthalmologist. Dr. Weeks told us that there appeared to be no difference between her left and right eyes, which was great news! Since she's a little young to tell us what she sees, she'll need to go back in a year to have her vision checked again. Chances are if she's anything like her mom she'll be blind as a bat, I'm just relieved to know that its not now and not from the hemangioma!
We tried not to take too many pictures of Hailey's eye during this time, I really didn't want to remember it. There was never a trip to the store that someone didn't ask what happened to her eye. Here are a few pictures that we do have. It's so sad when I look back at what my baby had to go through, but it also reminds me of how great God is and how thankful I am for my beautiful baby girl!
The first picture was taken July 18, 2006. This was around the time that we first noticed Hailey's eye.
The second picture was taken August 24, 2006, about one month before Hailey's first treatment. She also got her first tooth this week!
The third picture was taken on Thanksgiving Day 2006, one week after Hailey's third (and last) treatment.
Thankfully special glasses will not be needed!


7 comments:
Wonderful news Kim!!! I'm so happy for little sweet Hailey.
I'm so glad everything went well yesterday! She's so cute!
Now *this* is GREAT news!!! Just you wait --- *next* year the news is gonna be even better! And don't make fun of those "upside down glasses" she has on ----- it is once again The Bad MzH --- making a fashion statement! :)
great news. it is refreshing to read about God blessing your family. see you soon
Hi Kim! I know I haven't posted on this site before, but I wanted to let you know that I am so, so, so happy for all of you about Hailey's miraculous recovery! I know that you are relieved and I know it makes each and every photograph and even every day that much more special with sweet little Hailey. Oh, by the way, her tutu on the beach (I saw you making it at the shop) is too cute. Really precious...what a good mom. I hope you are all doing well. We can't wait to see you soon! much love-*amanda*
God is so great!
I am so glad Hailey is ok. I can't imagine what you went through! God is awesome!! Hailey is the cutest and I love her fashion sense!! Love ya!!
Post a Comment