Monday, June 22, 2009

Cub Scout Twilight Camp


This year Jackson went to Cub Scout Twilight Camp. It was a five day camp every evening from 5:00P.M. - 9:00P.M. We combined the Wolves and Bears and I was lucky enough to be a Den Leader with Sandi Ferguson. Sandi has to be one of the funnest people I know, and I'm so lucky that I got to know her better by the end of the week. It was lots of fun, but man can those boys wear you out! I think that the only other time that I've ever been this totally exhausted was when I was getting up one or two times a night with a newborn. Nah, that didn't come close.

During the week the boys participated in plant identification. Bird watching. Archery and b b shooting. Basketball. Looked at some cool snakes (or serpents). Woodworking. Leather tooling. Crafts. Tons of really wet games. Had Still Waters come and play for them. Knot tying. Made ice-cream in zip lock bags. Sang songs. Built bat boxes. Learned how to raise, lower and fold a flag.

It was eventful....

I really liked the way the boys were shown how to identify poison ivy, then proceed to play with it.

At one point Brad Totter and I were at the wrong end of a bow and arrow held by a seven year old.

I learned that I can still do a lay-up in basketball, never mind that the net was only eight foot above the ground.

I discovered that walkie-talkies are lots of fun, even for adults.

The boys only listen about 50% of the time (if that much) and they are FULL of an endless supply of energy, but I loved getting to know each one.

And by the end of the week I was a little sad that it was all over. But only a little.

Now, if I could only get that "Down By The River" song out of my head!

1 comment:

Garretts said...

love this post. so cute to hear about camp. i bet Jackson had a blast. glad you had fun too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...